Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Ask Mary Jane. NCPSSM Contributor: Mary Jane Yarrington, Senior Policy Analyst

This is my first foray into the blogging world but what a perfect vehicle to continue doing what I've been doing for years...answering questions about the Social Security and Medicare programs. Over the past forty years, one question comes up over and over.

A retired husband asks: “What happens when I die? What does my widow get?” If both are retirement age or more, the easy answer is that the survivor receives whichever benefit amount is the greater. Usually the wife has the smaller benefit.

That means her monthly benefit will jump up to the amount the husband had been receiving. On the other hand, if she dies first, his benefit does not change.

Do you have other questions about Social Security or Medicare? Please take a moment and drop me a line. You can post your question here in the comments section or we've provided an easy to use form which will email your question directly to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mary Jane! I have some questions which I'll send to you directly.